Welcome to St. Mary Help of Christians Preschool!
Preschool is a year filled with exploration and discovery, and we’re excited to be on the journey with your child this year! Starting Fall of 2020, SMHOCS is pleased to offer three full day options for preschool programs. Classes run 7:45-2:45 either two, three, or five days a week with an option to participate in our after school care program which runs until 5:30.
● A safe, fun learning environment that offers individualized attention.
● A place of Christian growth that will continue to nurture your child’s faith.
● A variety of independent, teacher-led, and small-group activities.
● Opportunities for your child to explore areas of language and literacy, math, science, gross and fine motor skills, creative arts, and social skills.
Our instruction includes the following components:
● The Get Set for School curriculum from Handwriting Without Tears which includes three programs designed to prepare children for school: Readiness & Writing, Language & Literacy, and Numbers & Math.
● Monthly themes and units of study.
● Learning centers.
Children learn through play and experiences, and center time will be a chance for your child to problem solve, use his/her imagination, create, develop motor skills, explore areas of interest, and build on social skills. Our centers include:
● Literacy Center- In this center children recognize letters and sounds, develop and practice writing skills, express ideas, develop print awareness, and improve
● Discovery Center- In this center children learn numbers, discover how things work, sort, classify, measure, and test ideas.
● Blocks and Building- In this center children develop spatial concepts, improve gross motor skills, experiment with balance, engage in cooperative play, and
exercise their imaginations.
● Living Center- In this center children develop communication skills, play cooperatively, explore real-life situations, and enhance their imaginations.
● Creation Station- In this center children engage in creative expression, develop fine motor skills, improve hand eye coordination and communicate ideas.
A Sample of our Day:
Arrival– Children choose from teacher-selected activities.
Morning Meeting– Time for calendar, weather, sharing, reading from our Bible, and letter and math activities.
Small Group/Large Group– Time with our Get Set for School curriculum and other skills practice.
Theme Time– Activities and stories that correlate with our current theme of study.
Outside/Lunch – Lunch is served at the big school.
Small/ Large Group
We use a variety of tools to keep in contact with families including: newsletters, apps like Remind and SeeSaw, however, we welcome questions and conversations as they arise. We look forward to a great year!
Mrs. Amy Hurrle
Mrs. Meagan Hayenga